Hidden water damage
Water leaks can cause a lot of damage to your home if not repaired in a timely manner however you can't always see it. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield has listed several ways to find hidden leaks in your home below.
- Water meter test- Turn off all the faucets in your home and check the water meter. If the meter is still running, you have a water leak
- Water pressure test- Turn off all the faucets and measure the water pressure. Low pressure can indicate a water leak
- Listen for running water- Water leaks can sometimes be heard through walls or floors
- Check your appliance for leaks- Be sure to disconnect them from the outlet before checking
- Check toilets for leaks- Drop a little food coloring into the tank overnight and check your toilet in the morning to see if there is color in the bowl
- Check your utility bills- Sudden or increases in usage can help determine a water leak is present
Independence Day is upon us and SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield wants you to have a safe and happy holiday! We have listed some fireworks safety tips below to keep you and your loved one's safe this 4th of July holiday!
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of emergency
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully
- Never use fireworks while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Remember to only use fireworks outside and away from wood and other flammable materials
- Soak fireworks in water before throwing in trash
Asbestos containing materials
Asbestos containing materials can be hazardous if not abated properly. Knowing what materials to look out for is crucial to preventing an unsafe environment in your home. Some materials to look out for before removing are plaster, drywall and vinyl. The year of your home helps determine the likeliness of the materials being positive. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield tests these types of materials prior to removing them to ensure there is no chance of cross contamination after the fact. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield will test regardless of the year of your home because positive results have been found even after asbestos was banned in 1989. Hopefully you do not come across asbestos in your home, but if you do please call us at 248-344-0044, we can help you abate it properly.
Fire odor concerns
There are a few different things to pay attention to after you have had a fire loss in your home. Some of the more important items to inspect for odor are your furnace, textiles/soft goods and carpeting. The furnace inside your home has a filter and forces air throughout your entire house. Carpet is one of the biggest filters in your home and will hold an odor. Any textiles, soft goods or clothing will also hold an odor. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield recommend the following after experiencing a fire in your home.
- Change the filter to your furnace
- Perform a duct cleaning after cleaning
- Clean or replace any carpet that came in contact with soot/smoke
- Launder/clean clothing, textiles or linens
- Clean all surfaces, especially horizontal surfaces.
Please contact us if you are in need of any additional information at 248-344-0044, we are here to help!
Choose SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield today!
SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield is here to help! We offer a variety of services for both your residential and commercial needs. We offer the following services.
We can provide water restoration for water damage caused by appliances, broken pipes and supply lines, sump pump failures, storm damage, etc.
In addition to restoring and cleaning fire damages, we also work with odor, soot and smoke damage
SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South offers a variety of cleaning services including general and specialized cleaning as well as carpet cleaning
We are fully licensed and certified to perform all your mold remediation needs, call us at 248-344-0044
SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South offers full reconstruction repair services for all losses that include water, storm, fire and mold remediation.
Different types of water losses
Many homeowners experience water damage at some point in their lives. The type of water will determine how to proceed with mitigation. The most important step is to determine and stop the source. Stopping the source prevents additional materials from getting affected. There are 3 categories of water that can be present in your home:
- Category 1- Clean water
- Category 2-Gray water
- Category 3-Black water
Category 1 is exactly how it sounds and materials can typically be saved.
Category 2 may have some contaminants and certain materials may need to be removed and an anti microbial may be used to sanitize and help with odor.
Category 3 is typically sewage water or water that has came in contact with an unsanitary source. Materials affected with this type of water will need to be removed, and or sanitized.
Commercial building issues
Commercial buildings are investments that you want to run smoothly. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield has listed some important issues below that should be addressed when owning a commercial property.
Problems with electrics in your building can create a dangerous situation if not addressed properly. Keep an eye out for problem issues such as dead outlets, melting wires, or faulty circuits
If left unchecked, water can cause significant damage inside your building
Older buildings typically contain asbestos material that can be quite expensive to remove
- Maintaining compliance with fire and safety regulations
It is important to make sure your building is updated to meet current fire and safety compliance requirements
Keep your building in a good state to help energy consumption and to find ways to improve energy efficiency
Fortunately, here in Michigan, we don't experience the major storms or catastrophes like other states. However, excessive rainfall in short periods of time can cause major damage if drainage systems are not working properly. During heavy rain/storms there are typically a few different ways water may enter your home.
- Foundation- Rod hole leaks or cracks in the foundation can allow water to seep through and enter your home.
- Windows/doors- making sure they are sealed properly
- Landscape- having a proper grade to direct water away from the house, rather than toward it
- Sump pump- making sure you sump is operable.
In the event that you have water damage in your home due to a storm event give SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield a call at 248-344-0044
Emergency Ready Profiles
Call SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield today to make sure your business is prepared for an emergency. We can prepare an ERP (emergency ready profile) to suit your business needs. An ERP contains all the information needed for your company to prepare for any emergency whether it's a flood, fire or storm. This includes but it is not limited to:
- Main utility information with shut off locations
- Emergency action checklist
- Emergency contacts
- Primary work authorization contact
- Insurance contact information
- Property overview
- Building access information
- Miscellaneous contact information
This report is accompanied by pictures and action plans in case of emergency that is posted inside your building and also kept on file at the office. An ERP can minimize losses and disruption to your business as well as keeping your business and employees safe.
During a major storm event your home may be affected with water damage. Checking with your insurance carrier may be a good idea to make sure you are adequately covered. Insurance companies will not always cover a water loss. How they determine coverage is usually based on what the source of water intrusion was. During a storm event what we, SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield see the most frequent are as follows:
- Drain back ups
- Sump pump failures
- Foundation leaks
If water enters through your foundation, or outside water coming in, your insurance company may not cover the loss. If your sump pump fails or drains back up you will be covered up to a certain amount. The coverage amount will be determined based on the endorsement on your policy. SERVPRO of Novi/Commerce South and Bloomfield recommend contacting your agent to make sure you are properly insured.